amazon

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day Forty-six



There are two days of the 24,000+ that I have lived that I can remember parts of minute-by-minute: November 22, 1963 and September 11, 2001. My Nick's Bytes blog for today will document the latter. I have already documented the former. 


This morning as I was remembering those minutes that began for me at about 9:20 a.m. when my mother telephoned me and told me to turn on my TV. I was stunned and remained watching TV for about another eight hours. 




The collapse of the two World Trade Center towers, with the cloud of smoke and debris shooting into the air like a descending mushroom cloud had me shaking. It took years of remembering those moments before I understood how they impinged upon and brought to mind my early fears of being killed by a nuclear bomb. I believe only those who lived in the beginning days of the nuclear age and cold war can understand what it is like to live under the constant threat of annihilation, of being vaporized, fried, or poisoned by radiation. The collapse of  towers reminded me of the films I had seen of nuclear bombs. I identified with the victims of the September 11, 2001, atrocity.

My lunch from meals-on-wheels just arrived: it isn't the expected warm meal but a box lunch. The volunteer reluctantly informed me that I'll no longer be receiving hot meals but box lunches because the recipients on my delivery route number now less than ten and  it isn't cost effective to keep less than ten meals warm. 

I don't understand that reason. I do understand that my life has quickly and radically changed since I now have no caregiver and no warm lunches. 



My trip to the pawnshop the shylocks another $50.00 went OK. I had no trouble engaging the clutch of my CRV, even though my left leg is still weak. I did find walking difficult, especially uphill across the parking lot to the pawnshop. Thankfully, a Good Samaritan came along and assisted me in keeping my balance.



My leg is much more gimpy now than it was this morning. I suppose driving did do something to me. The good news is that Anne and Lyndia dropped by this evening, emptied the litter box and did some grocery shopping for me.





2 comments:

  1. I can see how watching the towers collapse could bring my your childhood fears. It is a shame about the change to your lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to raise the funds to retrieve your guitar, Rev Saint! Watch you mail: a few of the $ will be in it soon.

    ReplyDelete