amazon

Friday, August 17, 2012

Day Twenty



One of my favorite Native American parables



My life is now 100% weird. When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

An Ancient Christian Legend: When the Son of God was nailed to the cross and died, he went straight down to hell and set free all the sinners there in torment. The Devil wept and wailed for he thought he would get no more sinners for hell. Then God said to him, “Do not weep, for I shall send you all those who are self-righteous in their condemnation of sinners. And hell will fill up again until I return.”

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely. ~ Hunter S. Thompson.

I'm rereading Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums. I'm wondering what my life would have been like had I read it when I was twenty instead of after I was married with a child.


I hope it is true that a man can die and yet not only live in others but give them life, and not only life, but that great consciousness of life.~ Jack Kerouac


3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your journal. I am surprised and pleased by the final Kerouac quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must read Hunter S Thompson and Jack Kerouac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, Rev Saint. I love the Cherokee parable; could have used it in a sermon or two.

    ReplyDelete