amazon

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day Seven

Yesterday's adventure wore me out. The drive in extreme heat without air conditioning overheated not only me but my portable oxygen compressor. I had no oxygen the last 20 or so miles of the trip. So, I have been recovering today with sleep and occasionally awakening to watch the Olympics. 






Sugar had escaped yesterday morning  when Timmi, my new caregiver, left the front door open. Alex and I went out on the patio in the wee hours of this morning. I called her and Alex left the patio and returned with Sugar following him. However,  she wouldn't enter the apartment. Finally, I cornered her in a corner of the patio and snatched her up by the nap of her neck. She must have had quite an adventure today because Sugar has been sleeping all day, too. 


There is a thunderstorm new (4:30 PM). We need the rain and I'm hoping it cools things off enough so I can make a run to the grocery.


This evening, while awaiting something of interest (not talking heads) in the TV coverage of the Olympic Games, I have been rereading The Gospel of Thomas. I find in these 114 saying of Jesus insight into the spiritual dimension of Christianity that I believe in lacking in the canonical New Testament.  For example,

#29
            If the flesh exists because of the spirit, it is a miracle; but if the spirit exists because of the body, it is a miracle or miracles. I marvel at how such great wealth  established itself amid this poverty,

#62
            I tell my mysteries to those who are worthy of my mysteries. Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

#63
            There was a rich man who had considerable wealth. He said, “I will use my money to sew and reap and plant and fill my warehouses with fruit so that I will lack nothing.” Such we his intentions, but that night he died. Whoever has ears, let him hear.

#67
            He who knows all but fails to know himself lacks everything.

#95
            If you have money, do not lend it at interest but give it to those from whom you will not receive it back.

#113
            His disciples said to him, “When will the kingdom come?”
            He said, “It will not come when  it is expected. They will say, ‘look here,’ or ’Look there.’ Rather the kingdom of the father is spread out on the earth and people do not see it.”


 

 The Kindle Edition:


1 comment:

  1. May I suggest you sleep through the thunderstorm?

    ReplyDelete