amazon

Friday, July 12, 2013

July 12, 2013

I made another medical related journey’s morning. This time it was to the Veterans Administration Newburg clinic to which I am assigned for primary care. The purpose, as I explained in yesterday’s journal entry, was to see my shrink.

I snapped this photograph this morning as I arrived at the clinic

I must admit that since my days as a practicing social worker I have not had much confidence in psychiatrists. Actually, I truly began to lose confidence in the psychiatric profession after I visited one at the University of Kentucky when I was a student. But that’s another humorous story I must remind myself to relate someday.

Today’s visit, as with all of my recent excursions for health, did not go smoothly. To begin with, the appointment time I was given was 9:00 AM. To meet the check-in procedures established by the Veterans Administration I arrived at 8:40. That’s when I was told that the appointment had been unilaterally changed by the clinic to 9:30. Considering my left leg was throbbing, the idea of an extra half an hour wait did not please.

However, when the Doc come to call me for the appointment and noticed how difficult it was for me to walk, he obtained a wheelchair and pushed me the relatively long distance to his office. So far OK. However, as he pushed me down the second long hallway a push me directly into a ladder on which a workman was standing while changing a light bulb! When I noticed that the doctor was not going to stop, I yelled (loudly) Man on ladder!!!!!!! 

Unfortunately, my psychiatrist did not stop pushing until the wheelchair hit the ladder. Luckily the man on the letter saw the wheelchair coming, jumped off of it, and held at steady so that it did not topple over on top of me. The doctor explained that he had been looking at the floor and not where he was going.

The 30 minute interview with the psychiatrist went fine, even though, as with most of the VA physicians, the time was spent with him looking at his computer screen and asking me questions came from it and typing my answers on to it. [SIGH]

The result of the appointment is that my primary antidepressant has been reverted to the one I was taking back in December. He also told me, after I responded yes to his question as to whether I had ever thought about suicide, that a new study read reports that over 90% of Americans over the age of 50 have, at one time or another, considered taking their own life. That does not surprise me.

On the way home again my portable oxygen compressor’s battery ran out of power. When I first got the device the battery generally lasted close to three hours; now it’s barely lasts for two hours. I have made myself a note to contact supplier and asked that it be checked out.

My portable oxygen compressor

After I returned to the apartment, changed from the portable oxygen compressor to the large oxygen compressor and regained my breath, again all three Kitty Kids surrounded me, begging for treats. At the rate they are eating treats, we’re going to run out well before my August pension check arrives.

My jaw and leg have been extremely painful today. Even the prescription medication containing codeine has had little effect. I did try something do with my jaw: when I left the emergency room the other day I was given a box of samples that included a small tube and bottle of Crest Pro-Health toothpaste and mouth wash. I gave them a try this afternoon followed by (after the 30 minute wait according to the mouth wash instructions) rinsing my mouth with warm salt water. The combination reduced my jaw pain by about 70%.

I have no new pictures of the kittens. My leg is been too unstable to risk going into the closet and possibly falling on top of the little ones. I do have this photograph of Alex doing what he does best (aside from eating): napping.


Donate a penny 
to help support SSN, 
his 3 Kitty Kids, 
& LG's kittens?


1 comment:

  1. You do these quite well, Rev Saint. My prayers for a quick recovery, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete