amazon

Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11, 2013



I was back at the VA hospital in this morning, this time to keep an appointment I made more than a month ago. This time it was to pick up my replacement hearing aids. Before Christmas I had lost one of the hearing aids that I received about three years ago. Hoping that I would find it, I waited until June before requesting a replacement from the Veterans Administration. I was told that it was past time for me to be evaluated for new hearing aids. Great! So I had the appointment, and my ears filled with some goopy stuff that made an impression of my inner ear, and set up today’s appointment to return and pick up my new hearing aids.

As with so much of my life, things have not gone. I arrived at the VA hospital about 7:30 my 8:00 AM appointment. My left leg was weak and hurting intensely, both when walking and sitting. It took me about 20 minutes to make it the office; however, I had a 50 minute wait because the audiologist was having problems with their computer. It seems that the computer was necessary because these new hearing aids are adjusted the via a microchip in them. WOW!

Another thing about the new hearing aids is that they are clear so that one can visually determine if there is any earwax buildup in them.


It's grand to be able to hear again -- except for guy with the gasoline-powered leaf blower outside the hospital, the kid in the car next to me at a red light with hip hop blaring from his car radio, and the warning buzzer of my portable oxygen concentrator telling me the battery needed charging. 


The whole trip took longer than I expected, so that I ran out of lithium battery power in my portable oxygen condenser about 15 minutes before I got home. I was wheezing, panting, and nauseous by the time myself up to the large oxygen machine. I was met by all 3 kitty kids, who I suspect were still traumatized by the 13+ hours away from home when I was in the VA emergency room yesterday. 

When I noticed that all three kitty kids—Alex, Sugar, and Little Girl—were on my desk begging for treats, I wondered about the kittens being alone. So, I grabbed the camera and limped to the walk-in closet to check on them. Of course, Momma Little Girl and Aunty Sugar followed me. And, I took what I think are the best photos of the three kittens to date. Here is one of them:


I published the above kitten photograph plus six more earlier today in  a Nick's Bytes post entitled, Lots of Kitten Pics.

Later, after much needed nap, I decided to shoot a video showing off my new hearing aids. I had just taken the right hearing aid into my hand when LG jumped on the desk and this video was made:


The video demonstrating the new hearing aids was never produced. I did take the photograph that begins this post. Then I decided to take the hearing aids out of my ears and put them away. It was then that I discovered that the hearing aid for my right ear was not in my right ear! I have searched desk, floor around the desk, the kitchen, bathroom, and the cats feeding area. I found no hearing aid.

I shall continue searching for the missing hearing aid and hopefully will find it. Meanwhile, I am blessed because the one remaining old hearing aid is far my right ear.

I have yet three more Veterans Administration medical appointments coming up. While I was on my trip to the hospital this morning, the Newburg VA clinic telephone and request that I set up appointments with my primary care physician and my psychiatrist. It was good timing. The appointment with the primary care physician, including a visit preceding it for lab work, is set for mid-August; the appointment with my psychiatrist is set for 9 AM tomorrow. I sure hope I have no more appointments because the round-trip to Newburg tomorrow will just about empty my gas tank! 
Donate a penny 
to help support SSN, 
his 3 Kitty Kids, 
& LG's kittens?

1 comment:

  1. You have had some rough times lately, Nick. I hope today is better for you. I love the video of you and Little Girl.

    ReplyDelete