amazon

Friday, January 11, 2013

Exhaustion, Warmth, and Blue Whales

Blue Whale and Calf

I awakened, as usual, at a bit after 3:00 a.m. and was able to return to sleep in my reclining chair a bit before 4:00. I awakened to a TV program about a blue whale and her calf. It was an astonishing program. What intrigued me the most was the close relationship between the mother and her child. A comment was made that this type of relationship is the norm for mammals. I began reflecting on all of the abusing and neglecting human mothers I encountered supervising child protective services. I wonder what went wrong with the parenting instinct of those mothers.

It is an unseasonable 67 F here in Louisville today. I wish I had the energy to go outside and enjoy it. But I don't am still feeling exhausted. The good news is that I don't feel nauseous today and the pains in my body a less than they have been the past week or so.

I am now intrigued by blue whales so much that I went shopping and added some stuff to my want list (as if I'll ever afford any of it):



I finally got the energy to go out into today's warmth. I had a grand time! Even a nice conversation with some folks at the mailboxes. 

Of course, the exertions wore me out. Beck inside I spent an hour or so recouping my energy. While recovering my breath, I heard a huge crash. When I had the strength, I investigated what the kitty kids had knocked over this  time. Nothing broke. Just some boxes of stuff I plan to throw away.

Since the VA has replaced my reach extender, I spent time this evening picking up stuff that I couldn't without the extender. Of course, it was 10 minutes picking up followed by 10 minutes recouping my breath.




Now at 11:30 PM, I am ready to retire for the night.

7 comments:

  1. love whales! Hope you can get outside soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, C.G. I'm making that photo my desktop image.

      Delete
  2. I love the picture! Seems to be more & more scarce with marine life ending up on shore.
    I' m sorry you're having low energy :( be good to yourself Rev Nick <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sandy. The program said that the odds are poor that the calf will live the 10 years it takes to reach adulthood, the primary killers being created by humans. Sad.

      I plan to be outside soon. I hope.

      Delete
  3. I, too, love whales! Please enjoy your warm weather, Saintly Nick! It is 18 here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the whales! I have seen the movie Whale rider twice and it is great! It teaches you alot about the maori people and their contact with nature. The story itself about a girl who tries to convince her grandfather she can become a whale rider.

    ReplyDelete