amazon

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

2014-05-28 Wednesday



Midnight, our 11-month-old Kitty Kid, has developed a rather unique habit. She follows me into the bathroom, which is a frequent trip that I take that make, and, when I am sitting on the commode she leaps onto a stool that sits before the washbasin. Then she begins chattering nonstop. She leans toward me from the edge of the stool and initially placed her front paws on my thigh, still chattering.

I have learned that when the kitten does this, she wants me to scratch her head, ruffle her ears and stroke the sides of her face and her neck. As I do this Midnight continues to talk to me.

In the last two days our kitten Kitty Kid has added a new action to her routine. Now she not only places her front paws on my thigh, but all four paws are there and she balances on my thigh, turning around so that my hand is stroking her exactly where she wants to be stroked. And, of course, Midnight continues to chatter. I have no idea what she is saying, but her manner and tone indicate to me that she is a very happy kitten.


If I remember correctly, often when I wrote this Journal of the past, I would include a comment on my health. I can happily say that although I am not the man I was 30 years ago, I am doing better that I have been in quite a while.

As you may know, for about a year I have been taking and recording in the Veterans Affairs website, MyHealtheVet, my vital signs. I usually do this three times a day: when I awakened and before breakfast; about mid-afternoon; and before I begin my preparations for sleep. I share the data and graphs that the website maintains and creates with the relevant VA physicians and my nurse practitioner at MD2U.



I am unsure how much of this data is useful—I limit my sharing to the 2 weeks immediately preceding the day of my appointment—but the health professionals all review the data closely, making comments and asking questions about it.

Now, the reason I have told you all of that is to tell you this: over the last month most of my vital signs have been excellent. I still experience pain, but for the most part, my prescription strength ibuprofen reduces the pain enough that it is tolerable. When it doesn’t, as has been the case with the earache in my right ear over the past six weeks or so, I seek help.

Recently I have been following a routine based upon suggestions I have received from Facebook friends. First I irrigate my ear with warm water, then with hydrogen peroxide, then place an over-the-counter earwax softner in my ear and plug it with a small piece of cotton. I go through this procedure three times each day. I cannot say I have noticed much earwax coming out of my ear, but the pain has been reduced about 40%.





That’s it for now, folks. I'll be back tomorrow evening.


Please





1 comment: